You rely on your home’s electrical system for everything from keeping the lights on, cooking meals, and powering your home’s heating and cooling systems. These functions are only possible when your home’s electrical system is well-maintained and working properly. Issues like daily wear-and-tear, old age, and faulty wiring can cause electrical problems at home. Fortunately, you can often spot electrical issues before they worsen. Keep an eye out for these 5 signs of electrical problems at home.

1. Flickering Lights

Do your light bulbs flicker when you switch on the lights? Sometimes fixing this problem is as simple as changing the lightbulb, but in other cases, flickering lights are a sign of electrical problems at home. If your lights continue to flicker after changing the bulb or multiple lights in your home flicker all at once, you should give an electrician a call.

2. Frequent Blown Fuses Mean Electrical Problems at Home

Blown fuses happen when an outlet gets overloaded and suddenly shuts down. This is most likely to happen when you first flip a switch or turn on a device that consumes electricity. The device you just turned on and other devices in the room go out, leaving you wondering if you just experienced a power outage. Blown fuses are normal from time to time, but frequent blow fuses are signs of electrical problems at home.

3. Buzzing or Humming Sounds from Lights

Lights should be silent while turned on, which means sounds like buzzing or humming are unusual and worth investigating. Noisy lights are often a sign of wiring issues. This isn’t safe to investigate on your own due to the risk of electrocution, so you should always have an expert electrician look into any problems.

4. Hot Plugs and Light Switches

Have you ever touched a light switch or unplugged an electronic device only to notice the outlet was hot? This means the outlet is overheating. If this has been going on for a long period of time, you may even notice brown or black spots on and around the outlet.

5. The Smell of Burning Plastic

The smell of burning plastic is often a sign of electrical problems at home. When you first notice the smell, unplug the device it is coming from immediately to prevent a fire. Next, call a qualified electrician right away so they can diagnose the problem and make the necessary repairs. If you notice sparks coming from the outlet, keep away from it until help arrives to avoid injury.

What You Can do About Electrical Problems at Home

Do any of these signs of electrical problems at home sound familiar? If so, it’s time to call an electrician to investigate the issue and make the necessary repairs. Get three quotes from reliable local contractors so you can compare them and make the best choice.

Cole’s Inspection Services provides home inspection services. Contact us to schedule an appointment in the Greater Statesville area.